Tuesday, July 13, 2010

here's the plan


This quarter during seminar my intentions are to explore my own authority in my art. What does my art look like when I am in charge and not another outside force/figure? This piece reflects my desire to claim my own authority and use art as a way to make it visual.

I loved working with these images, words and materials during class last week. The phrases I found in an old "Look" magazine from 1959. The phrases at first startled me, but then I felt an excitement to change them. As if by ripping them out of their pages and altering the words to reflect myself, I was immediately saying no to the way of thinking for women in 1959. It was liberating and still excites me to think that I have the power to change that way of thinking. I have the authority.

2 comments:

  1. if you are looking for places to find old materials, the oakland museum has a white elephant sale every year (but i think we just missed this one), and the alameda flea market held the first sunday of every month is also a good place to score.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love a good collage session--and ripping things and tearing things (flesh?) is one of my most favorite things to do. i love your visual poetry, dear musetina-- so excited for the way you set your intentions and let your life come true around you.

    ReplyDelete